The 10th annual Hare & Tortoise race will be held on September 8, 2018
The One - Mile Fun Run begins at 8:30 am
The 5K Run/Walk begins at 9:00 am
The 8K Run/Walk begins at 9:10 am
Click Here to Register Online
"The tortoise is slow and steady but wins the race – Ovarian Cancer is slow to detect but we can win the race. The tortoise is quiet – Ovarian Cancer is the quiet cancer – it whispers – don’t let it beat you."
Why participate in this run/walk?
As a result of our Hare & Tortoise races which started in 2009 we have donated $139,000 to help underwrite the Ovarian Cancer programs offered by the Lackey Free Clinic and the Olde Towne Medical and Dental Center for their patients. These programs provide patients with screening, treatment, and education about this lethal form of cancer. In November 2016 we established The Karene O'Hare Ovarian Cancer Memorial Endowment Fund at the Williamsburg Community Foundation. The Endowment Fund is a permanent source of funds for our mission. The Endowment Fund will enable us to achieve ongoing financial sustainability in our donation efforts to help build, strengthen and support the significant Ovarian Cancer health care that Lackey and Olde Towne provide. We recently made the first donation to Lackey and Olde Towne from investment income earned by the Endowment fund. You can support our mission by entering the run/walk, or by making a donation or by becoming a sponsor. We hope you will join us in this fight.
Facts about Ovarian Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer is the deadliest gynecologic cancer and the 5th leading cause of cancer deaths among American women. No routine screening test exists to detect Ovarian Cancer.
- 15,000 American women will die from the disease in 2018.
- 75% of Ovarian Cancer cases are diagnosed too late.
- 20,000 American women are diagnosed each year.
- Only 19% of Ovarian cases are diagnosed at an early stage - when treatment can make a major difference.