The 9th annual Hare & Tortoise race will be held on September 9, 2017
The One Mile Fun Run begins at 8:30 am
The 8K Run/Walk begins at 9:00 am
Click Here to Register Online
"The tortoise is slow and steady but wins the race – Ovarian Cancer is slow to detect but we can win the race. The tortoise is quiet – Ovarian Cancer is the quiet cancer – it whispers – don’t let it beat you."
Why participate in this walk/run?
The run raises money to fund the Ovarian Cancer programs offered by the Lackey Free Family Clinic and the Olde Towne Medical and Dental Center for their under-insured and un-insured female patients. We have donated $129,000, to date, to underwrite these programs. Also, we have donated $6,000 in support of community educational initiatives.
Facts about Ovarian Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer is the deadliest gynecologic cancer and is the 5th leading cause of cancer deaths among American women. No routine screening test exists to detect Ovarian Cancer.
- 20,000 American women are diagnosed each year.
- 15,000 American women will die from the disease in 2016.
- 75% of Ovarian Cancer cases are diagnosed too late.
- Only 19% of Ovarian cases are diagnosed at an early stage - when treatment can make a huge difference.