The Hare & Tortoise race will be held September 12, 2015 this year
Click Here to Register Online
"The tortoise is slow and steady but wins the race – Ovarian Cancer is slow to detect but we can win the race. The tortoise is quiet – Ovarian Cancer is the quiet cancer – it whispers – don’t let it beat you."
Why participate in this walk/run?
The run raises money to fund Ovarian Cancer screening programs for under-insured and un-insured women, of all ages, who reside in the greater Williamsburg community. We have donated $107,000, to date, to underwrite these programs which are offered by the Lackey Free Family Clinic and the Olde Towne Medical and Dental Center. The programs have diagnosed 7 women in early stage Ovarian Cancer. These women were all treated successfully for the disease because of an early stage diagnosis.
Facts about Ovarian Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer is the deadliest gynecologic cancer and is the 5th leading cause of cancer deaths among American women. No routine screening test exists to detect Ovarian Cancer.
- 20,000 American women are diagnosed each year.
- 15,000 American women will die from the disease in 2015.
- 75% of Ovarian Cancer cases are diagnosed too late.
- Only 19% of Ovarian cases are diagnosed at an early stage - when treatment can make a huge difference.